For Congress Participants


Registration will begin Tuesday, June 8 from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm at Lambton Hall at the University of Guelph. (See directions below.)

Registration will be open at the River Run Centre, 35 Woolwich St. on Wednesday morning from 8:00 - 9:30 am and on other mornings from 9:00 - 9:15 am.

Those staying in the dorms will be staying in Lambton Hall. The easiest way to get to Lambton is to take Watson Road which is directly off of College Ave. The Lambton desk is open 24 hours a day and you will be able to check in anytime that you arrive.

How to get to Guelph.

By car - from Toronto or from Detroit, take Highway 401 west or east, respectively. Take exit #299 for Old Brock Rd (Regional Rd 46). This will bring you in to Guelph on Gordon St which runs through the campus. It is about 10 km from Hwy 401.

To get to the dorm, turn right on College Avenue and left on Watson Rd. To get to the Best Western Emerald Inn (Carden St), please continue on Gordon St. into the centre of the city.

Our car rental plan is with Hertz. Please quote meeting # 013J0001

Reservations may be placed through the Hertz Meeting Sales Desk . From Canada call - 800-263-0600 From the USA, call 800-654-2240. From Toronto, call 416-620-9629

When making bookings it is important to identify the meeting # and/or the name of the meeting - XXVII International Viola Congress. The Hertz rental plan is valid from Toronto’s Pearson International Airport and from Detroit and Buffalo airports.

By bus - from Toronto airport. Less than $8.00 but take about 2 hours and involves a change. If you wish details, please Ann Frederking.

By Red Car airport service. Flyer is enclosed to those who might be coming by air. If you don’t get a flyer, it is on the web-site. There is a conference rate of $30 each way.

Identification. If you are travelling by air, bring a passport if you have one. Airlines will request it. If you do not have a passport, bring a birth certificate or baptismal certificate and picture ID with your address on it. While most people crossing the border by car are not asked to produce identification, there is always the chance that it may be requested.

Customs and Immigration.

If you are of legal drinking age (19 in Ontario), you will be permitted 40 ounces of wine or liquor or 24-12 ounce cans of beer. If you bring gifts, they should be valued at $60 Cdn or less.

Firearms are not permitted imports. You should not have difficulty bringing one viola to the Congress for personal use. If you have any special concerns about other things you are bringing to the Congress, you can reach Canada Customs by calling 613-993-0534 or 613-998-3326 (after 4:30 and on weekends).

Currency. It is strongly recommended that you use Canadian currency during your stay in Guelph. While many businesses will accept US$, it is not legal tender and they are under no obligation to offer a fair exchange rate. Major credit cards are widely accepted and ABM’s are widely available and an excellent way to obtain Canadian currency at a reasonable rate.

Health Care. Please check your health care plan to ensure that you are covered while visiting Canada. It may be recommended to purchase travel health insurance.

Congress Web-Site. The Congress web-site can be found at:

Please check it from time to time as any last minute changes are will be posted there.

Contact. You can reach Ann Frederking by phone or fax at 613-749-5815 or by e-mail at: After June 6, all questions should be directed to Henry Janzen at 519-837-0529 or by e-mail at:

Emergency Contact:

To reach delegates during the Congress in case of emergency:

Phone: (519) 837-5662 x588. This is the extension of the House Manager who will be on-site for the duration of the conference. Messages can be left on this machine if needed.

Fax: (519) 821-3470 This is probably the best way to get a message to a delegate.